Today I took my first Introduction to Pole Dancing class at Sedusa Studios. It was, in a word, AMAZING!
I arrived 30 minutes early. The instructor/owner was there to greet me. Petite, beautiful, with a taut body, I immediately felt like a Sasquatch next to her.
“What size shoe do you wear?” she asked.
Dare I admit to this tiny little thing that I have great big gargantuan feet? Yes.
“Size 10,” I told her.
She handed me a pair of black leather platform shoes with lucite heels. My shoes for my upcoming workout. How many exercise classes make you wear platform heels? Awesome! This is my kind of class!
When class started, we began on the floor, with a floor routine which was deceptively simple and sexy. It reminded me of naughty yoga. If I looked half as good as the instructor, I figured I was in good shape. We crawled across the floor. We spread our legs, we rolled around, we laid dawn and arched our backs. We did it all.
Then we moved to our poles. It was amazing how simple moves were transformed into really sexy moves by our instructor. She kept telling us to “go slower.”
When it came time to swing around our poles, I was challenged. It’s not easy being 6+ feet tall and swinging around a pole. Even the instructor said I was at a disadvantage. My left leg wrapped around the pole just fine, but my right leg didn’t want to lift off the ground. The instructor came over.
“Don’t worry. Men remember the first thing you do and the last thing you do. And if you give them great eye contact.”
I didn’t bother to tell her that I have no man and no one to give eye contact to, let alone dance for.
I was determined to get it. I tried one last time and VOILA… I figured it out.
“Great!” the instructor cheered, “That was the best booty snap I’ve seen in the class today.”
“Well that’s because I’ve got SOME BOOTY,” I laughed.
At the end of the class, you put everything you’ve learned into a routine set to some sexy music. Our class strutted around our poles. We spun around our poles. We did the booty snap. We slid down to the ground. We did our floor routine – bend, spread, arch. Then we crawled toward our imaginary audience like a slinky kitty looking for milk.
I totally want to take more classes. It was a great workout (for being in heels) and I really felt like I got in touch with my feminine, sultry seductress side.
What did I learn from my class?
- Pole dancing is not easy or intuitive.
- Being sexy is about being confident in your skin. Not about looking a certain way or being a certain size.
- Dancing in platform heels is very complicated, especially when you’re trying to look sexy.
- Sticking to the pole is a good thing – show some skin.
- Don’t be afraid to touch yourself slowly. It’s all about showing your audience what they want but can’t have.
- Even pregnant women can pole dance (totally).
- Slow it down. The slower, the better.
- It’s all about the booty. Make sure you work your booty hard.
- A pole dancing instructor can make anything look sexy.
- Always try new things, you never know what you can learn from them.